Friday, June 12, 2009

Surgery


We are out of surgery and she’s in her room now (4018 bed 1 @ Seattle Children). The surgery went good and they used some new precautions so hopefully those will keep her on the path to going “home”, i.e. hotel, tomorrow afternoon.

Surgery was at 11 am, she was done around noon, and then she was finally brought upstairs around 1:30 once she was stable. She’s still pretty out of it and now that local on her thigh is wearing off so she’s getting uncomfortable. She was able to drink some apple juice so we are just making sure she can keep that down and she might be able to eat some dinner tonight J Tomorrow morning when surgery does rounds they will come in and remove the bandage so we will be able to see what it actually looks like under there. The surgeon said it was a good sized piece of her left, upper side muscle. He did reiterate that there’s a 9 out of 10 chance that even if she does have mitochondrial disorder that this will not pick it up because it’s such a rare and hard thing to find. We will cross that bridge when we get to it.

As of right now they are watching her closely and they’ve already had to reset her parameters on the machines as she keeps setting them off with a resting heart rate of 110 and a temperature of 95.2 degrees. Hopefully this is all we will see and she will do A-Okay and go from there.

Later tonight or tomorrow I will do another update but just wanted to do a quickie!

*UPDATE*

So that was how things were going earlier and things have stayed the same and changed all at the same time. Nothing to worrisome but she fell asleep and her heart went pretty low and then of course the rest soon followed, her face swelled up and she had perioral pallor while the rest of her face was beet red and hot and her temperature was 94.1. The nurse was paying attention at the desk and came in to see what was going on and got to see the swelling and redness so she made note of it to show Dr. Haun tomorrow. Now speaking of Dr. Haun I have to tell you, I really, really like him. I always get so nervous meeting new doctors with Alana 'cause there's no telling how it's going to go and particularly when we travel out of town there's no going back, know what I mean? I wasn't expecting to see him again while we were here but he came in tonight to see her and talk with her and he's so sweet and kind. I am really impressed. Even if he cannot figure her out for us I really feel like he's a special guy.

So here we are getting ready to go to bed and I don't know how much I am gong to sleep. She's restless but not in a lot of pain at this point (as long as we don't touch her leg). Tomorrow morning they will remove the bandage and we can get a better look at it. The surgeon did explain to us that it's not a pretty cut and it's all about where it's at and how it heals. It may "grow" with her for awhile because it's being stretched vertically along her leg. Such is life I suppose.

If she doesn't do this swollen face crap again tonight, continues to drink and eat enough to sustain, and her pain is undercontrol we should be able to go home tomorrow afternoon, and by home I mean the hotel. From there, again assuming that everything goes well, we will go ahead and fly home on Monday morning. I miss Noelani and Shaylin so very much and it makes me sad that they missed out on the giraffe's and the whole zoo trip. I don't know about anyone else but I remember when my brothers & sister would get something broken bone wise and I had never broken anything. I was also so jealous in that odd sense of the word because they were getting treats and extra attention and just being pampered. Now Alana's issues are no where near a broken bone, in fact they are much worse. I cannot imagine how Noelani and Shaylin feel about things some days. Even though she's in pain and in the hospital now, she did get to go to the zoo and go out to eat. Apples to oranges I suppose but when you are little those things are seen in the moment, not the quid pro quo of zoo=surgery.


No comments: